Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Calling it Like it is.

I remember hearing about an umpire who used to brag that when a pitch came into home plate and he had to decide if it was a ball or a strike he would say, "They ain't nothing til I call em." He reserved the right to create his own reality. Unfortunately, the number of people in our society who create their own reality is increasing. With only two weeks to go until the 2012 General Election most of us have been bombarded with so much information that it is dizzying. I've watched some of the debates and the level of dishonesty that I've seen has been very disheartening. I have watched as certain candidates look at the camera and without blinking tell the American people the exact opposite of what is true--"It ain't nothin till they call it." Most recently the American people have been subjected to the grand deception which surrounds the attack of the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Lybia. This is just one of many incidents in which the American people are not being told the truth. As others pass the rampant deception off as "politics" I'm appalled. In the short list of things God hates (Proverbs 6) a "lying tongue" is in the top two. I find myself getting very upset at 1)the telling of lies and 2) the seeming complacency or at least indifference of so many that a blatant lie has just been told that I'm sure I respond in anger rather than in sorrow. Reading in Ezekiel 33:1-11 about God's appointment of Ezekiel as a watchman for the house of Israel it struck me that his message was to warn them of impending doom that was coming upon them because of their wickedness. His duty was to warn the people and if he did so he was not responsible. If he failed to warn them then he would be held accountable. God's people have a message from God--the good news of salvation by grace through faith alone in Christ (Acts 1:8; 2Cor.5:17-21). It is a message of warning that if people don't turn from their sin they will suffer God's judgment. But I noticed in verse 11 that God declares that "I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live." So the purpose of warning, of pointing out the wickedness was to bring about repentance. Notice in 33:11 Ezekiel is to declare, "turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?" It's one thing to be on watch for other people's sin so that we can piously point it out because we do not sin in that way and we feel good about ourselves--that is Pharisaism. It is quite another thing to be a watchman of sorts and share the truth of the gospel with people, to point out their sin so that they will see that they need to turn from it, trust Christ and live. This second rationale is what God meant for Ezekiel to do. God's heart is always that people repent. God's people are to point out sin so that people will repent. If my approach to those in sin is a desire to see them turn from sin so that they will live--gain new life in Christ--then I will confront sin humbly and graciously. If all I want to do is let people know how much worse they are than me, then I best keep my mouth shut. Lord, as I look around and see so much deception, jealousy, greed, idolatry, and pride I ask that you search me and know me and reveal those sins in my life that I need to repent of. Then would you please give me your heart of mercy so that when I confront sin I do so only so that those confronted will repent and live. Let me take no pleasure in the death of the wicked Lord, but only that they would turn from their way and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment