Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is my life an offense?

Been reading through 2Corinthians and in 6:3 Paul states that he was "not giving offense in anything that the ministry might not be discredited." As I think about those words in context it is a powerful indictment against my pettiness, my selfishness, my immaturity in relating to others in ways that will turn them away from the Gospel. The gospel itself is offensive but Paul says that he made every effort not to add to the offense through a life that was hypocritical. Paul was under fire from the Corinthians and was defending his apostolic ministry, but the principle he articulates applies to every believer.

I need to ask myself, "Where in my life am I 'giving offense'?What sort of knuckleheaded behavior do I exhibit that is an 'offense'? Am I discrediting the message and ministry of reconciliation at ball games through the way I comment about the players, officials, coaches? Does my involvement in civic clubs/community activities attract or distract from the gospel? Do my business dealings reflect honesty, integrity, sensitivity or am I unscrupulous, insensitive and unkind.

Just making me think about the impact of my relationships with others and whether or not my conduct draws people to or drives them away from the Lord I profess to love and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment