Sunday, March 7, 2010

To Obey or Not to Obey?

I am struck by the example of Joshua as he lead the children of Israel into the promised land. As the conquest began we read repeatedly that Joshua "left nothing undone of all that the Lord had commanded Moses" (Joshua 11:15b). When you read the accounts of what Joshua did that Moses commanded it becomes readily apparent that obedience wasn't necessarily easy, sensible, or comfortable. In our culture we have become so accustomed to "doing what feels good" or doing what is in best interest that to go against what "we think is best" or what seems reasonable and to follow God's Word in our daily existence runs counter to what comes natural. To be honest when completing our tax forms, to resist the temptation to cheat in school, to stand up for someone at school or at work that is being ostracized, criticized and/or marginalized are not easy things to do but doing them is part of what it means to obey when it is not comfortable.

I'm challenged today to examine my own life and ask "why am I reluctant to obey in certain situations?" For example, why would it be such a temptation to not declare all of my income on my tax return? It really boils down to where my trust is placed. Do I really trust God enough to obey or am I going to trust in "money"? If a person chooses to disobey by cheating on his/her taxes he/she is really worshiping money rather than worshiping the Lord.

I need the Lord's help to examine the "why" behind disobedience so I can turn from idolatry and trust Him consistently.

No comments:

Post a Comment