Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Where is my Help?

Isaiah spoke words of chastisement against God's people for turning to Egypt for help..."Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help...But they do not look to the Holy one of Israel, nor seek the Lord" (Isaiah 31:1). It was so tempting to look to Egypt because they had tangible evidence of ability to help God's struggling people--horses,chariots, horsemen who were very strong (see 31:1). Their perspective was completely worldly. They found the strongest nation that they could make an ally and sought to turn to them. Yet they forgot that God had delivered them from Egypt, that God had promised to give them their own land, that HE was their God who would protect and provide for them. But they had turned away from Him rather than trusted Him. AS I read these words it caused me to pause and ask, "Lord, where is it that I'm looking for help other than in You?" Am I looking to other people with better skills than myself, to my spouse, to my children, to a certain financial decision, to a 401K, a new job opportunity, a break in the weather, commodity price increases, accumulation of certain resources, investment in a different country, a shift in political power, or something else to protect, provide for, and satisfy me??? Father, turn our hearts to you as the source of our strength and hope. For indeed, "the Lord is good and ready to forgive, abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon Him" (Ps.86:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment